Game Story: Toronto Maple Leafs 4, Calgary Flames 2
Herald’s three stars are Jonathan Bernier, David Jones and James Van Riemsdyk
1. Jonathan Bernier, Leafs: A Toronto game-saver, under siege the entire evening, producing 40 saves.
2. David Jones, Flames: Injected life into the home side with a tip-in goal to make the score 3-2, plenty of shots and a physical force all evening.
3. James Van Riemsdyk, Leafs: The game opener for Toronto, a spirited effort.
Calgary scratches — D Mark Giordano (broken foot), C Mikael Backlund, D Chris Breen (abdominal strain), LW Lee Stempniak (broken foot).
Toronto scratches — D John Michael Liles, Tyler Bozak (upper body), Nikolai Kulemin (ankle).
1. Toronto, Lupul 7 (Gardiner, Kadri), 7:56.
2. Toronto, van Riemsdyk 7 (sh) (McClement), 19:56.
Penalties — B McGrattan, Cgy (major fighting), 1:22; F McLaren, Tor (major fighting), 1:22; D Wideman, Cgy (slashing), 5:51; D Clarkson, Tor (hooking), 13:19; D Bolland, Tor (slashing), 19:16.
3. Calgary, Stajan 1 (Glencross, Brodie), 17:03.
Penalties — P Kessel, Tor (interference), 12:22; S O’Brien, Cgy (instigator, major fighting, misconduct), 16:56; C Ashton, Tor (boarding, major fighting), 16:56.
4. Toronto, Raymond 5 (Clarkson), 5:59.
5. Calgary, Jones 3 (Russell, Wideman), 14:39.
6. Toronto, Ranger 1 (sh) (en) (Unassisted), 18:38.
Penalties — D Bolland, Tor (hooking), 9:54; D Clarkson, Tor (boarding), 17:00.
Shots on goal by
Toronto 7 8 7—22
Calgary 15 20 8—43
Goal — Toronto: Bernier (W, 6-4-0). Calgary: Ramo (L, 2-3-1).
Power plays (goals-chances) — Toronto: 0-1, Calgary: 0-5.
Referees — Paul Devorski, Brad Meier. Linesmen — Steve Barton, Ryan Galloway.
Att. at Calgary Alta. — 19,289.
Daniel Alfredsson and the Ottawa Sen ... err, sorry, the Detroit Red Wings pay a visit on Friday to close out Calgary’s three-game homestand, 7 p.m., The Fan 960, Rogers Sportsnet West.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald