Game Story: Nashville Predators 5, Calgary Flames 3
Herald three stars are Martin Erat, Mike Fisher and Mark Giordano
1. Martin Erat, Predators: Breaks a 21-game goalless drought, adds two helpers and buzzing all night long.
2. Mike Fisher, Predators: Two goals. Fairly simple conversions, actually, but still, from a Calgary standpoint, lethal.
3. Mark Giordano, Flames: Two shortie points in the first period the first time a Flames’s done it in over a dozen years.
WHY THE FLAMES LOST
Because it’s the road and because, well, the Flames don’t win on the road. Not anymore, anyhow. That’s eight (0-7-1) and counting. They couldn’t even take any sort of advantage or momentum out of two short-handed goals in the first period. Dreadful.
THE BIG SAVE
With the game still hanging in the balance, Pekka Rinne stretches out his long left pillow to stone Tim Jackman, burrowing to the front of the net with Nashville defenceman Kevin Klein off daydreaming somewhere in la-la land.
THE BIG HIT
The roughhousing Rick Clune staples Flames’ defenceman Chris Butler into the corner boards seven minutes into Period 3.
* Calgary scratches — D Anton Babchuk, D Derek Smith, F Roman Cervenka.
*Nashville scratches — D Hal Gill (lower body), D Scott Hannan (upper body), C Paul Gaustad (upper body), LW Colin Wilson (upper body) and RW Patric Hornqvist (upper body), C Craig Smith.
Predators 5 Flames 3
1. Calgary, M Giordano 3 (sh) (L Stempniak) 5:01.
2. Nashville, M Erat 4 (pp) (R Josi, B Butler) 11:36.
3. Calgary, B Comeau 4 (sh) (M Giordano, J Bouwmeester) 13:05.
4. Nashville, M Fisher 8 (M Erat) 18:09.
Penalties — T Brodie Cgy (Hooking) 4:12; S Begin Cgy (Fighting) 9:16; R Clune Nsh (Fighting) 9:16; M Backlund Cgy (High-sticking) 11:15.
5. Nashville, M Fisher 9 (R Josi, M Erat) 13:24.
6. Nashville, N Spaling 6 (V Bartley, K Klein) 14:24.
Penalties — Team Cgy (Too Many Men) 1:59; S Weber Nsh (Boarding) 8:15; L Stempniak Cgy (High-sticking) 8:15.
7. Nashville, B Yip 3 (K Klein, R Clune) 15:54.
8. Calgary, J Iginla 8 (pp) (C Glencross, A Tanguay) 19:00.
Penalties — R Josi Nsh (Interference) 3:46; B Yip Nsh (Delay of Game) 8:37; R Clune Nsh (Roughing) 17:08.
Shots on goal by
Calgary 7 8 7—22
Nashville 10 10 3—23
Power plays (goals-chances) — Calgary: 1-3, Nashville: 1-4.
Goal (shots-saves) — Calgary: M Kiprusoff (23-18, L, 5-6-2). Nashville: P Rinne (22-19, W, 11-10-5).
Referees — Ghislain Hebert, Dave Jackson. Linesmen — Brian Murphy, Jonny Murray.
Att. at Nashville, TN — 17,113.
Calgary Flames (11-12-4) at Columbus Blue Jackets (12-12-6)
Blue Jackets Lines (L to R)
R.J. Umberger-Ryan Johansen-Nick Foligno
Matt Calvert-Brandon Dubinsky-Cam Atkinson
Vinny Prospal-Derick Brassard-Mark Letestu
Derek MacKenzie-Artem Anisimov-Jared Boll
Jack Johnson-Fedor Tyutin
Daulton Prout-Nikita Nikitin
John Moore-Tim Erixon
Blue Jackets Notes
Jackets have points in 11 straight games ... Columbus PK has allowed one goal in its last 14 games, and that was a 5-on-3 tally. It hasn’t given up a 5-on-4 goal since Feb. 18th ... Expect Steve Mason to get the start in net over the white-hot Sergei Bobrovsky. A tip-off: Jackets’ coach Todd Richards, who feels his No. 1 is showing signs of fatigue. “We’ll have to watch it. I saw a little bit of it (Tuesday) morning during the skate. I was watching defensemen shoot on him, and he wasn’t as clean on those shots. So it’s something we’re going to have to pay attention to.”
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald