Game Story: Dallas Stars 4, Calgary Flames 3
Herald three stars were Loui Eriksson, Jay Bouwmeester and Eric Nystrom
1. Loui Eriksson, Stars: Two goals, including the shiv-to-the-heart fourth to blunt a Calgary comeback.
2. Jay Bouwmeester, Flames: Logs the usual extended minutes, scores a lovely backhand goal to bring his side to within one, 3-2.
3. Eric Nystrom, Stars: Usually plays well against his old mates and this night was no exception, notching his second goal of the season against the Flames, out of three total.
WHY THE FLAMES LOST
Because despite arriving in full knowledge that the Stars were apt to be a tad owly after that 8-1 desecration to Chicago, they were woefully unprepared at puck-drop. In the final analysis, a 3-0 lead was too steep a hill to climb.
THE BIG HIT(S)
Early on, Jamie Benn crumples Flames’ D-man Dennis Wideman in the corner and then, as payback, Curtis Glencross fires Loui Eriksson into the Calgary bench.
THE BIG DAY
Goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff became the proud father of his second child, Oscar, born Monday. Papa Kiprusoff is expected to rejoin the Flames in time for Thursday’s tilt in Music City.
THE BIG SAVE
Already down three, Joey MacDonald, at least, wasn’t tossing in the towel. At the tail end of a highly ineffective Stars’ power play, he flashed the leather to pull a sure goal for Dallas captain Brenden Morrow, set up by Erik Cole, out of the net. A timely intervention, given the sudden Calgary uprising.
THE BIG FIGHT
Flames down a deuce, and the captain, Jarome Iginla, tries to light a fire under their sagging butts, duking it out with Dallas centre Cody Eakin. Doesn’t help much. Stars score with both men in box to grab a 3-0 lead.
Stars 4 Flames 3
1. Dallas, E Cole 5 (J Benn, J Oleksiak) 13:07.
2. Dallas, E Nystrom 3 (A Roussel, K Lehtonen) 15:49.
3. Dallas, L Eriksson 8 (R Whitney, D Roy) 18:11.
Penalties — A Roussel Dal (Tripping) 6:15; J Hudler Cgy (Hooking) 9:20; J Iginla Cgy (Fighting) 16:32; C Eakin Dal (Fighting) 16:32.
4. Calgary, J Hudler 6 (pp) (T Brodie, M Cammalleri) 11:30.
5. Calgary, J Bouwmeester 6 (pp) (C Glencross, L Stempniak) 14:35.
Penalties — C Butler Cgy (Interference) 8:11; D Wideman Cgy (Roughing) 11:17; C Eakin Dal (Interference) 11:17; C Eakin Dal (Roughing) 11:17; J Benn Dal (Hooking) 13:05.
6. Dallas, L Eriksson 9 (J Benn, R Whitney) 12:06.
7. Calgary, A Tanguay 9 (M Cammalleri, J Iginla) 15:14.
Penalties — J Bouwmeester Cgy (Hooking) 1:41; E Nystrom Dal (Interference) 4:32.
Shots on goal by
Calgary 5 9 5—19
Dallas 12 6 6—24
Power plays (goals-chances) — Calgary: 2-4, Dallas: 0-3.
Goal (shots-saves) — Calgary: J MacDonald (24-20, L, 3-5-1). Dallas: K Lehtonen (19-16, W, 10-6-2).
Referees — Gord Dwyer, Chris Lee. Linesmen — Scott Cherrey, Ryan Galloway.
Att. at Dallas, Texas — 16,057.
Calgary scratches — G Miikka Kiprusoff (personal reasons), D Cory Sarich, D Anton Babchuk, F Steve Begin.
Dallas scratches — D Philip Larsen, C Ryan Garbutt, C Tomas Vincour.
The second of this three-game road junket goes Thursday, 6 p.m. versus Shea Weber and the Nashville Predators at Bridgestone Arena (TV: Rogers Sportsnet. Radio: 960 The Fan).
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald