Game Story: Colorado 6, Calgary 3
Herald three stars are Jiri Hudler, John Mitchell and J.S. Giguere
1. Calgary LW Jiri Hudler: By far the most dangerous presence on the ice. Bright newcomer bags two goals, sets up another in the losing effort.
2. Colorado C John Mitchell: Twice (on quick-release wristers, with a helping hand from former Flame Chuck Kobasew), he scores.
3. Colorado G Jean-Sebastien Giguere: Never that pretty with this no-frill puck blocker. But solid. Robs Mikael Backlund in the third.
WHY THE FLAMES LOST
Because, on a night when the visiting team is playing without three of its best players, on a night when the visiting team is playing the back half of consecutive games, the Flames dominate at times ... but fail to put away the pesky Avs.
THE BIG HIT
A couple of times, during the night’s mild proceedings, Colorado D Ryan Wilson, a former member of the Flames, gives RW Jarome Iginla a shove. In the third period, Calgary RW Lee Stempniak is popped by D Jan Hejda.
THE BIG SAVE
On one of the many snappy offensive sequences provided by the hosts’ (first?) line, RW Roman Cervenka, chugging down the left side, sends a perfect net-front pass to C Matt Stajan, who slices the puck at the Colorado cage. But the old pro, G Jean-Sebastien Giguere, sniffs it out, heaving his carcass in front of the shot.
THE BIG FIGHT
One of the most polite evenings imaginable. Only five minor penalties throughout the entire contest — three trips, one hold, one interference.
Calgary Scratches: D Derek Smith, LW Blake Comeau, D Anton Babchuk (shoulder), LW Sven Baertschi (hip flexor).
colorado Scratches: D Tyson Barrie, D Shane O’Brien, C Ryan O’Reilly (hold-out), RW Gabriel Landeskog (head, neck), RW Steve Downie (knee).
Avalanche 6 Flames 3
1. Calgary, J Hudler 1 (M Stajan) 7:23.
2. Colorado, J Mitchell 3 (unassisted) 19:13.
Penalties — None.
3. Calgary, J Hudler 2 (M Stajan, R Cervenka) 1:49.
4. Colorado, P Parenteau 4 (J McGinn, M Duchene) 3:32.
5. Colorado, J Mitchell 4 (C Kobasew, C McLeod) 16:58.
6. Calgary, A Tanguay 3 (J Hudler, D Wideman) 19:42.
Penalties — C Kobasew Col (Holding) 11:03.
7. Colorado, P Stastny 1 (pp) (unassisted) 17:20.
8. Colorado, P Stastny 2 (J Mitchell) 18:49.
9. Colorado, P Parenteau 5 (en) (M Duchene) 19:12.
Penalties — M Duchene Col (Tripping) 0:27; B Jones Cgy (Tripping) 5:18; R Wilson Col (Interference) 14:03; M Giordano Cgy (Tripping) 17:12.
Shots on goal by
Colorado 7 6 9 —22
Calgary 12 10 6 —28
Power plays (goals-chances) — Colorado: 1-2, Calgary: 0-3.
Goal (shots-saves) — Colorado: J Giguere (28-25, W, 1-0-0). Calgary: M Kiprusoff (21-16, L, 1-3-1).
Referees: Eric Furlatt, Kyle Rehman.
Linesmen: Mike Cvik, Shane Heyer.
Att. at Calgary, Alta. — 19,289.
The Flames get ready for Saturday’s visit from Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and the Chicago Blackhawks (8 p.m., SN960, CBC).
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald