Game Story: Calgary Flames 4, Minnesota Wild 1
Herald’s three stars are Joey MacDonald, Zach Parise and T.J. Brodie
1. Calgary G Joey MacDonald — This guy was sick as a dog Saturday? Goes from the hot seat to the hot seat. Super effort.
2. Minnesota LW Zach Parise — Most dangerous skater on the ice for either team. Scores once. Could’ve had a half-dozen.
3. Calgary D T.J. Brodie — Another one of those nights for the youngster. Shouldering heavy workload. Skating miles.
WHY THE FLAMES WON
Because they continue to get great mileage out of the greenhorns. Every night. Brodie. Baertschi. Horak. Hanowski. Reinhart. Now Cundari.
Because Joey MacDonald appears eager to prove his worth after signing a contract extension. Old-timer never gives hosts a chance to take over, despite the territorial edge.
THE BIG HIT
Calgary D Brett Carson, twice, is rocked by Minnesota forwards. Late in the first period, it’s RW Cal Clutterbuck — who else? — who races into enemy territory to pepper Carson. A period later, LW Jason Zucker jolts Carson near the end boards.
THE BIG SAVE
With the guests clinging to a 2-1 lead late in the second period, Minnesota C Mikko Koivu passes to his left — and LW Zach Parise wastes no time uncorking a drive. But G Joey MacDonald heroically boots out the shot. The period finishes with the hosts holding a 25-12 edge in shots — and trailing.
THE BIG FIGHT
Apparently for hitting LW Zach Parise, Calgary D Cory Sarich is challenged by D Clayton Stoner. Sarich accepts and, in the skirmish, gets his beak belted and bloodied.
Calgary scratches — G Leland Irving, D Anton Babchuk, C Blair Jones, LW Carter Bancks, LW Roman Cervenka, RW Brian McGrattan, RW Akim Aliu, D Dennis Wideman (finger), D Derek Smith (lower body), LW Curtis Glencross (knee), LW Alex Tanguay (knee), LW Steve Begin (upper body). Man-games lost: 120
Minnesota scratches — D Nate Prosser, D Justin Falk, G Josh Harding (illness), C Zenon Konopka (lower body), LW Mike Rupp (lower body), RW Dany Heatley (shoulder). Man-games lost: 84
Flames 4 Wild 1
1. Calgary, M Cundari 1 (pp) (T Brodie, M Cammalleri) 13:37.
2. Minnesota, Z Parise 17 (C Coyle, M Koivu) 18:44.
Penalties — M Cammalleri Cgy (Tripping) 4:38; T Jackman Cgy (Hooking) 10:44; M Granlund Min (Interference) 12:38.
3. Calgary, M Backlund 8 (L Stempniak, S Baertschi) 8:50.
Penalties — L Stempniak Cgy (Goaltender Interference) 6:06; C Stoner Min (Fighting) 6:06; C Sarich Cgy (Fighting) 6:06.
4. Calgary, M Cammalleri 13 (pp) (M Cundari, T Brodie) 12:40.
5. Calgary, J Hudler 10 (pp) (en) (M Reinhart, M Giordano) 19:28.
Penalties — T Gilbert Min (Holding) 12:01; C Coyle Min (Tripping) 18:02.
Shots on goal by
Calgary 5 7 12—24
Minnesota 14 11 10—35
Power plays (goals-chances) — Calgary: 3-3, Minnesota: 0-3.
Goal (shots-saves) — Calgary: J MacDonald (35-34, W, 8-7-1). Minnesota: N Backstrom (23-20, L, 22-14-3).
Referees — Justin St. Pierre, Kevin Pollock. Linesmen — Andy McElman, Bryan Pancich.
Att. at St. Paul, MN — 19,039.
The Flames’ road trip continues Tuesday against Roman Josi and the Nashville Predators (6 p.m., Sportsnet West, The FAN 960).
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald