Game Story: Flames 4, Blue Jackets 3 (OT)
Herald’s three stars are Brodie, Letestu and Hudler
1. Calgary D T.J. Brodie — More and more involved in offence. Confidence starting to show. Two points. Plus-three.
2. Columbus C Mark Letestu — Finishes a pretty power-play sequence. Orchestrates 3-3 goal. Wins a pile of draws.
3. Calgary LW Jiri Hudler — Quiet in Detroit, newcomer resumes his productive ways. Picks up two helpers.
WHY THE FLAMES WON
* Because, despite losing more regulars (LW Michael Cammalleri and C Mikael Backlund are the latest), they find a way to succeed in the late going. This is the fifth time they’ve been tied after 40 minutes — and their first win.
THE BIG HIT
The opening period features a couple of heavy checks by the hosts. First, LW Matt Calvert blasts D Chris Butler into the fence. Then, D Nikita Nikitin steps into C Matt Stajan in the neutral zone.
THE BIG SAVE
With D Jay Bouwmeester off for hooking — and the visitors trailing by one — Columbus’s power-players get the puck bouncing. C Artem Anisimov nevertheless rushes over and takes a healthy whack at the fluttering biscuit. Sizzling through traffic, the puck thumps off G Leland Irving’s left pad. A few minutes later, Calgary ties the score.
THE BIG FIGHT
Calgary and Edmonton have been involved in the fewest scraps in the league (two apiece), Columbus the most (14). Nothing doing on this night..
Calgary scratches — D Cory Sarich, G Miikka Kiprusoff (lower body), D Anton Babchuk (shoulder), LW Michael Cammalleri (hip flexor), LW Sven Baertschi (hip flexor). Man-games lost: 21
* Columbus scratches — D David Savard, D John Moore (lower body), D Adrian Aucoin (lower body), D James Wisniewski (concussion), D Ryan Murray (shoulder), RW Cam Atkinson (lower body). Man-games lost: 23
Flames 4 Blue Jackets 3 (OT)
1. Calgary, R Cervenka 1 (D Wideman, J Hudler) 4:19.
2. Columbus, M Calvert 1 (V Prospal, T Erixon) 4:44.
3. Columbus, M Letestu 4 (pp) (D Brassard, J Johnson) 9:37.
Penalties — A Tanguay Cgy (Interference) 8:52; D MacKenzie Cls (High-sticking) 11:01; J Johnson Cls (High-sticking) 15:41; L Stempniak Cgy (Slashing) 15:56.
4. Calgary, M Backlund 3 (T Brodie, J Hudler) 13:06.
Penalties — J Boll Cls (Interference) 2:23; J Bouwmeester Cgy (Hooking) 7:27.
5. Calgary, L Stempniak 4 (pp) (J Bouwmeester, L Irving) 8:33.
6. Columbus, V Prospal 3 (M Letestu) 11:00.
Penalties — D Brassard Cls (Hooking) 6:37; L Stempniak Cgy (Interference) 18:10.
7. Calgary, A Tanguay 4 (J Iginla, T Brodie) 1:07.
Penalties — None.
Shots on goal by
Calgary 8 13 8 1 —30
Columbus 12 8 7 2 —29
Power plays (goals-chances) — Calgary: 1-4, Columbus: 1-4.
Goal (shots-saves) — Calgary: L Irving (29-26, W, 1-0-0). Columbus: S Bobrovsky (30-26, L, 2-2-2).
Referees: Francis Charron, Kelly Sutherland.
Linesmen: Brad Lazarowich, Brian Mach.
Att. at Columbus, Ohio — 10,484.
The Flames, winging three time zones to the left, take on Mason Raymond and the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday (8 p.m., The FAN 960, CBC) at Rogers Arena.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald