Game Story: Calgary Flames 4, Colorado Avalanche 3
Herald’s three stars were Michael Cammalleri, Tim Jackman, Ryan O’Reilly
1. Flames LW Michael Cammalleri Was the architect of two of the home team’s four goals. Provided leadership in a time of need.
2. Flames RW Tim Jackman Calgary’s favourite role player did just that on this night.
3. Avalanche C Ryan O’Reilly He nearly became a Flame until Colorado matched a two-year $10-million offer by the Flames.
WHY THE FLAMES WON
Because on a night when there were countless distractions — No. 12 being top among them — they stayed focused on the task at hand.
THE BIG FIGHT
In the biggest bout of the year for any Flame, Brian McGrattan takes on LW Patrick Bordeleau in a heavyweight scrap that lifts the fans out of their seats and allows them to briefly forget about the pending departure of Jarome Iginla.
THE BIG HIT
Quietly, Calgary RW Lee Stempniak is one of the most effective Flames as of late — a fact that has clearly not escaped the Avalanche. In the first period, Colorado RW Chuck Kobasew corrals the Calgary forward with his skate, leaving Colorado C John Mitchell to roar in and finish him off.
THE BIG SAVE
In the second period, Colorado C Matt Duchene undresses Calgary D T.J. Brodie wide and uncorks a shot. The puck hits Calgary G Joey MacDonald and sails over his shoulder, but the Flames netminder reaches back with his trapper to nullify the goal at the very last second.
Calgary: RW Jarome Iginla (!!!!!!!!!), D Derek Smith, D Anton Babchuk, C Paul Byron (hand)
Colorado: C Paul Stastny (bruised foot), D Ryan Wilson (ankle), D Jan Hejda, RW David Jones
Flames 4 Avalanche 3
1. Calgary, J Hudler 7 (pp) (R Cervenka, M Backlund) 8:10.
2. Calgary, S Begin 2 (T Jackman, C Sarich) 12:01.
Penalties — P Bordeleau Col (Fighting) 2:35; B McGrattan Cgy (Fighting) 2:35; C Kobasew Col (Hooking) 7:07; B Comeau Cgy (Boarding) 9:45; J Bouwmeester Cgy (Interference) 13:03; S O’Brien Col (Hooking) 17:03.
3. Colorado, J McGinn 6 (P Parenteau, T Barrie) 4:29.
4. Calgary, M Cammalleri 10 (B Comeau) 4:41.
5. Colorado, G Landeskog 7 (G Zanon, R O’Reilly) 9:14.
6. Calgary, M Cammalleri 11 (D Wideman, A Tanguay) 12:41.
Penalties — C McLeod Col (Fighting) 9:17; T Jackman Cgy (Fighting) 9:17; B Comeau Cgy (Hooking) 13:25; G Zanon Col (Interference) 16:37.
7. Colorado, R O’Reilly 4 (pp) (M Hejduk, P Parenteau) 12:34.
Penalties — M Stajan Cgy (Tripping) 11:27; A Tanguay Cgy (High-sticking) 12:06.
Shots on goal by
Colorado 2 12 16—30
Calgary 14 11 2—27
Power plays (goals-chances) — Colorado: 1-5, Calgary: 1-3.
Goal (shots-saves) — Colorado: S Varlamov (27-23, L, 9-15-3). Calgary: J MacDonald (30-27, W, 4-5-1).
Referees — Kevin Pollock, Frederick L’Ecuyer. Linesmen — David Brisebois, Mike Cvik.
Att. at Calgary, AB — 19,289.
Minus their captain, the Flames soldier on with a home date Friday against Jack Johnson and the surprising Columbus Blue Jackets at 7 p.m. (Sportsnet Radio The Fan 960, Sportsnet-West.)
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald