Game Story: Los Angeles Kings 3, Calgary Flames 1
Herald’s three stars are Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter and Rob Scuderi
Herald’s Three Stars
1. Kings LW Dustin Brown: The Los Angeles captain is the complete package. Scores the first goal. Throws his body around. Kills penalties. Mans the power-play. Leads by example.
2. Kings C Jeff Carter: Clearly happier in California than Columbus, Carter chips in with a goal and an assist. Dangerous all night.
3. Kings D Rob Scuderi: Munching minutes with three starting defenceman down, Scuderi collects two helpers from the back end.
Why the Flames lost
Because, inexplicably, they slumber through the opening 10 minutes with the Kings (allegedly tired on the back end of a back-to-back) playing a ridiculous game of keep-away with the puck.
Because the offence has dried up with the grand total of one goal in the last 120 minutes of play.
The Big Save
Impressing in his first start at home, Joey MacDonald slides across in the third period to rob Los Angeles LW Dustin Brown. A spectacular left pad stop reminiscent of one Miikka Kiprusoff.
The Big Hit
Not known as a pugnacious sort, Calgary D Dennis Wideman invokes a roar out of the Saddledome crowd by stapling Los Angeles captain Dustin Brown to the boards in the first period. Collateral damage on the play: linesman Thor Nelson, thrown off his skates by the impact of the collision.
The Big Fight
Nothing on this night.
Calgary scratches — D Anton Babchuk, D Cory Sarich, C Blair Jones, G Miikka Kiprusoff (knee), C Paul Byron (hand), C Mikael Backlund (knee), LW Sven Baertschi (hip flexor). Man-games lost: 43
Los Angeles scratches — D Matt Greene (back), D Alec Martinez (upper-body), D Willie Mitchell (knee)), LW Simon Gagne, RW Brad Richardson, D Andrew Campbell Man-games lost: 18
Kings 3 Flames 1
1. Los Angeles, D Brown 4 (A Kopitar, R Scuderi) 6:15.
2. Calgary, T Brodie 1 (J Iginla, J Hudler) 14:51.
3. Los Angeles, T Lewis 1 (J Carter, R Scuderi) 15:20.
Penalties — M Cammalleri Cgy (Slashing) 7:58; S Voynov LA (Slashing) 7:58.
Penalties — T Lewis LA (Goaltender Interference) 4:28; C Fraser LA (Unsportsmanlike conduct) 5:56; J Iginla Cgy (Interference) 5:56; C Butler Cgy (Holding) 8:42; D Drewiske LA (Interference) 16:44.
4. Los Angeles, J Carter 8 (M Richards, K Clifford) 9:27.
Penalties — J Williams LA (Tripping) 0:41; A Kopitar LA (Tripping) 14:26.
Shots on goal by
Los Angeles 11 12 10 —33
Calgary 8 7 12 —27
Power plays (goals-chances) — Los Angeles: 0-1, Calgary: 0-4.
Goal (shots-saves) — Los Angeles: J Bernier (27-26, W, 3-1-0). Calgary: J MacDonald (33-30, L, 1-2-0).
Referees: Brad Meier, Wes McCauley.
Linesmen: Mike Cvik, Thor Nelson.
Att. at Calgary, Alta. — 19,289.
The Flames return to practice Friday in preparation for a visit from hometown boy Dany Heatley and the Minnesota Wild at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Saturday (8 p.m., The FAN 960, CBC).
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald