Game Story: Anaheim Ducks 5, Calgary Flames 4
Herald’s three stars are Getzlaf, Glencross and Koivu
1. Anaheim F Ryan Getzlaf — The big forward with great hands fades in and out of the game, but two pivotal goals — Anaheim’s first and fifth helps secure the win for the visitors. A beast in the face-off circle, winning 15 of 23 draws.
2. Calgary F Curtis Glencross — Does his part with pair of tallies and an assist for the hosts in just over 20 minutes of ice time.
3. Anaheim F Saku Koivu — The cagey veteran contributes a goal and two assists to the winning cause and wins over 71 per cent of his faceoffs.
WHY THE FLAMES LOST
Because through two starts they continue to experience wild mood swings, play only in fits and starts. Down 3-0, tied 3-3, down 5-3. Inconsistency has cost them both nights.
The BIG HIT
Bad News Bryan Allen, who’s levelled a few nappers in his time, catches Flame tough Tim Jackman checking the ice for stray gum wrappers and lays a shoulder into him, dropping the big fella.
THE BIG SAVE
Ducks wilting after blowing the three-goal lead, a minute and a half left in the second period and Lee Stempniak sneaks in behind the Anaheim defence, in search of his second goal in as many games. Newcomer Dennis Wideman hits him perfectly in stride, but Jonas Hiller keeps the right pad down to deny the Flames an improbable second-intermission lead.
THE BIG FIGHT
In a game where no one shucks the mitts, the biggest fight is in the hosts, ready for the priest to be summoned after falling behind 3-0, but displaying a never-say-die spirit to fight back into contention.
Calgary Scratches: D Derek Smith, C Steve Begin, D Anton Babchuk (shoulder), C Roman Cervenka (blood clot), RW Jiri Hudler (bereavement).
Anaheim Scratches: R Brad Staubitz, D Jordan Hendry, C Peter Holland.
Ducks 5 Flames 4
1. Anaheim, R Getzlaf 1 (T Lydman, C Perry) 1:06.
2. Anaheim, S Koivu 1 (A Cogliano, D Winnik) 7:23.
3. Anaheim, D Winnik 3 (S Souray, S Koivu) 10:53.
4. Calgary, C Glencross 1 (pp) (D Wideman, A Tanguay) 16:54.
5. Calgary, A Tanguay 1 (J Iginla, C Glencross) 19:34.
Penalties — A Tanguay Cgy (Goaltender Interference) 11:47; T Lydman Anh (Cross-checking) 16:15; B Allen Anh (Interference) 19:59.
6. Calgary, C Glencross 2 (pp) (M Cammalleri, D Wideman) 1:13.
Penalties — C Fowler Anh (Holding) 5:29.
7. Anaheim, D Winnik 4 (A Cogliano, S Koivu) 4:02.
8. Anaheim, R Getzlaf 2 (C Perry, K Palmieri) 11:15.
9. Calgary, L Stempniak 2 (T Brodie, R Horak) 14:04.
Penalties — R Horak Cgy (Roughing) 6:46.
Shots on goal by
Anaheim 9 3 12 —24
Calgary 5 14 6 —25
Power plays (goals-chances) — Anaheim: 0-2, Calgary: 2-3.
Goal (shots-saves) — Anaheim: J Hiller (25-21, W, 2-0-0). Calgary: M Kiprusoff (24-19, L, 0-2-0).
Referees: Stephen Walkom, Justin St. Pierre.
Linesmen: Michel Cormier, Brad Kovachik.
Att. at Calgary, Alberta — 19,289.
Roberto Luongo and the sure-to-be-surly winless Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Centre, Wednesday 8 p.m., Radio: SN960, TV: Rogers Sportsnet West.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald