The arena was one of the most talked about local subjects on the web this week.
Following the 10-3 vote Wednesday approving the deal, here is a cross-section of the comments and jibes across Facebook, Twitter, the Journal website, and beyond.
- “Today: 48 nurses laid off, full-day kindergarten plans shaky. What acrobatics will the Conservatives perform to fund the arena?” –Mimi Williams
- “Katz is no longer demanding a $6M operating subsidy, a property tax exemption, a casino license, or a pony.” –Ryan Batty
- “It works out to about 30 bucks a year. And that’s if it has no resulting revenue increase for the city. I’d probably pay that just to knock the casino down.” –Clinton Carew
- “How do we have a deal when we’re $100M short? Numbers don’t add up ...” –David M. Brown
- “I’d love to see a plebiscite on the arena, if for no other reason than to see how out of whack the 10-3 council vote is with reality.” –Andy Grabia
- “Great news for the city of Edmonton. Mayor Mandel and Daryl Katz deserve a lot of credit for pulling this deal together. Our city will be even greater than it already is.” –Garth Collins
- “What a waste. And they don’t even know where they’re getting all the money yet. Just like a bunch of spoiled kids. So many other priorities that could be taken care of instead of this.” –Nancy Ross
- “I picture the arena groundbreaking backhoe tractor to be like Godzilla, only the fleeing citizens are actually arena-opposing hipsters.” –Ryan Bychkowski
- “I was correct back in October when I said this project will go up $10 million per month of delay. City council can forget about lighting up the High Level Bridge. Mandel can also forget about having a job come next election, too.” –Emmet Adriaans
- “This arena is a vote of confidence for our downtown and our city. I think Edmonton has a lot going for it, and we have a great quality of life. Still, it is misunderstood, it’s disparaged by outsiders and sometimes the media. There are some people who won’t give this city a fair chance. Let’s show this city some love.” –Rhys Davies
- “I hope Edmonton taxpayers wreak a mighty vengeance on any councillor voting in favour of this pig in a poke.” –Eoin Kenny
- “I’m all for using taxpayer money because I pay into many programs, schools, communities, museums, art gallerys, zoos, rec centres and many many more that I will never use. I don’t complain, so please don’t complain when us sports enthusiasts get something in return for our tax dollar.” –Colin Ketchum
- “This looks like it’s going to be an expensive project. Up go the taxes as the roads continue to deteriorate, all the while the Oilers continue to lose hockey games.” –Pete Mentz
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal